CAGD 545 posts

Post 3:

I’ve been trying to stick on working on one scene at a time, so I haven’t been able to make a lot of progress in all areas. However, that being said, I did manage to complete the walking animations between Scenes 8 & 10 to show their transition to the tree life. I’m currently working on animating the final scene (which has all 6 rabbits and 3 jackalopes in it) and it’s proving to be an incredible challenge to animate all of this on top of my other scenes. At this point, there’s no way I’m going to finish but I’ll animate what I can. Here’s what I have thus far:

Post 2:

These past few weeks have shown not too much progress in all areas of play, but significant progress in a few areas of play. What I mean by this is that because our animation has a lot of assets that make for very large files, going between Maya scenes can get annoyingly frustrating, so I’ve decided to put most of my focus in just 1 or 2 shots at a time. The only three shots I’ve really touched on and updated are Scene 1 Shot 3, Scene 2 Shot 7, and Scene 10 Shot 1B. Here they are in all their glory:

Post 1:

These first few weeks were a bit slow-going, as far as animation progress goes. The first week we went over the class and had to do some group rearrangement due to some unforeseen circumstances. The second and the third week were done with little work because we were searching for rigs and environments and waiting on them to get approved by the school. The fourth week was when we finally got to work on unifying our scenes in an environment and we began blocking out our scenes. I had a problem with putting together our environment scene so I had to do some pulling together and problem-solving in the process to find trees fit to our environment. I organized most of our files in the drive (and Sam did a lot of the organizing too). I also made two separate environments, one with the rabbit-hole and one with a tree environment. The rabbit rigs can also be a bit problematic at time because they’re very finicky and slow down Maya’s processing a lot. It doesn’t help that we have several rigs in at once, but we will have to do what we need to do in order to get the animation finished.

As a lead, delegating tasks to animators can be challenging because we work in steps like a staircase, we can’t just go up all of them at once. As an animator, the tasks I decided to assign were the same all throughout. I let Sam edit our Judy Hopps rigs to give them jackalope horns. I made sure to create the environment and tell everyone to reference everything in and replace their old environments with the new ones. We all split our scenes pretty evenly, although realizing that some of the scenes have more characters than others has proven to be more difficult with the slow processing inside of Maya. For my scenes, I have Scene 2 Shot 7, Scene 9 Shots 1-3, and Scene 10 Shots 1-2. I let everyone choose whichever scenes they wanted to work on and then I just selected the ones that were left over. I completed rough camera angle blocking for all my scenes, and then I completed setting up all my scenes for a block. However, I only got to block out scene 2 Shot 7, Scene 9 Shot 1, Scene 9 Shot 2, & Scene 9 Shot 3. Scene 10 Shots 1 and 2 are still in somewhat setup mode, and I haven’t started animating them. Here’s a stitched together playblast of what I have so far:

 

I accidentally included the wrong Scene 2 Shot 7 but it’s pretty much the same shot.